If you served in the U.S. Armed Forces, you may be eligible to buy back up to three years of active service credit. Because service credit is a factor in calculating a NYSLRS pension, in most cases buying military service credit will increase your pension.
To be eligible, veterans must:
- Have been honorably discharged;
- Have at least five years of credited service in the Retirement System;
- Have not received credit for this service in any other public retirement system in New York State; and
- Apply for and purchase military service credit before they retire.
How to Apply for Military Service Credit
To apply and request a cost for military service credit:
1. Fax your name, contact information and a copy of your DD-214 to 518-486-6405 or 518-402-7799;
2. Mail a letter with your name and contact information, and a photocopy of your DD-214, to:
Military Service Unit
110 State Street
Albany, NY 12244-0001
If after reviewing your application we determine you are eligible, we will send you a letter that will tell you how much credit you are eligible to purchase and the cost. Most members in Tier 1, 2, 3 or 4 can use our online benefit projection calculator to see how the credit would impact your pension. Tier 5 and 6 members can get that information by calling 1-866-805-0990, or using our secure email form (www.emailNYSLRS.com).
For more information, visit the Military Service Credit page on our website.